Dianne Sykes | June 14, 2018
Showing our DAD-itude!
In honor of Father’s Day, we wanted to show some DAD-itude! You fix things. You protect your family. So you must stay strong for sure! And getting your daily intake of protein is the key to keeping and building muscle (dad or not LOL). We know it can be challenging to eat protein at every meal and sometimes you just feel like you are on the chicken merry-go-round. What's for lunch? Grilled chicken. What's for dinner? Roasted chicken.
Top 10 Protein Sources
So here is a list of our top 10 protein sources to give your taste buds some versatility. And check out the recipe we included for power protein pancakes at the bottom-- they pack 35g of protein!! Ask your kiddos to serve them up to you in bed on Sunday… you deserve it. Only 4 ingredients too.
- EGGS - the whole egg too! The yolk contains the perfect amount of good fat, vitamin E (which most of us are starved for) and protein of course. We like a one yolk to three whites ratio in our house :-)
- SHRIMP - Sauteed in a little coconut oil...it is truly one of those perfect food marriages! With summer here you can slide them on some skewers with fresh pepper and onions for an awesome BBQ treat loaded with the big P.
- SALMON - of course salmon contains a huge dose of Omega-3's but you also get 15-20 g of protein too. Not to mention how AMAZING it tastes on the grill... another splendid summer protein.
- COTTAGE CHEESE - you can easily turn your morning fruit plate into a protein power meal by adding a scoop of cottage cheese...how refreshing!
- GROUND TURKEY - this is a staple in our fridge. You can turn any meal up a notch by adding this protein packed meat. It's easy! Do turkey chili, turkey meatloaf, or turkey burgers.
- WHEY PROTEIN - just about one of the simplest ways to get your protein serving in...particularly great for vegetarians. There is something SO enjoyable about a smoothie in the summertime...throw in a scoop of whey protein and you are good to go!
- BEANS - beans beans they're good for your heart (sorry old habit). Yes they are good for your protein serving too. High in fiber they make a pretty complete post workout meal. Chickpeas, tuna, celery, sun dried tomatoes with a splash of your favorite light dressing on a bed of mixed greens and you are set!
- BISON - Leaner than beef, it's one of the highest protein meats around and takes your weekly menu up a notch!
- CHICKEN SAUSAGE - slice it up, throw it on a pan with peppers and onions for an Italian classic or turn it into a healthy version of Texas toast. Just pour the mixture on top of a whole wheat tortilla with some diced pineapple and shredded cheddar and bake in the oven on 400 for 10 minutes!
- GRASS FED BEEF - much easier to come by these days...it is SO important to get it from a grass fed animal. That way you can be sure that the protein and fat are un-compromised by the cow's diet.
Special Recipe: Livekick Powercakes
- 1/4 cup almond or whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup whipped cottage cheese
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 organic cage free eggs
Combine all the wet ingredients together with a mixer until blended. Slowly blend in dry ingredients and combine until batter forms. Spray a frying pan with coconut oil cooking spray and place on medium high heat. Pour 1/4 cup portions of batter onto skillet and cook through 2-3 minutes on each side. Serve ‘em up with ghee or nut butter or fruit!
Happy Father's Day!